10 November 2010

Pre-Veteran's Day Post.

Tomorrow is my favorite holiday. 
Today is my 2nd favorite. And I JUST found out..like literally 30 seconds ago.
Today, November 10, is the day the Marine Corps was made. Yay. :)


Why, you ask, is Veteran's Day my favorite holiday? I've actually answered this questions several times in the past few days. I'll start with why other holidays are not my favorite.


Christmas: 1. I can celebrate the birth of my Saviour any day of the year. No one knows for sure when He was born..He could have been born on July 6 for all you know!
2. People have turned it into something it's not. It's not about running around buying gifts for everyone you know. It's not about decorating your house. It's not even really about spending time with your family. It's about thanking the Lord for giving us Jesus. 
3. Christmastime makes me so cranky because people just get rude. They have to find something just right for so and so and they won't take your suggestions. Or people you don't even know cutting you in line, buying the last toy you wanted yadayadaya. I just get irritated. I do, however, very much enjoy Christmas music! I LOVE Harry Connick Jr.'s 1st Christmas CD. Absolutely wonderful!! :)


Easter: 1. Again, I can celebrate the death..well that's a strange way to put it...I can thank the Lord for dying for me all day everyday if I want..I'm not sure why I have to pick one day out of the year [and it's not even the same day every year] to do it more than the others....? Plus who knows..maybe he died on February 12th. 
2. Again..people expect things at Easter..ya know..the whole Easter Bunny bit. Yea, it's cute but that's not what Easter is about..at all. It's not about getting candy, going on Easter Egg Hunts, or wearing pretty dresses. It's so strange that people have made what should be the most amazing day of the year into something so..the only word I can think of is menial..maybe I want to say secular? Anyway..it's something that's so not what it's supposed to be at all. 


Valentine's Day: I never have a Valentine so I just get irritated then too.
St. Patrick's Day: I don't like drunk people.
Columbus Day: Meh...he wasn't even trying to discover America.
MLK Day: I'm not really a fan of holidays made for specific people..
There are tons more..but I'm tired and I want to go to bed. So on with the show.


Now why Veteran's Day means so much to me.
1. Well..I'm free. It's really quite simple: without veterans, I wouldn't be typing this right now. We owe everything we have as a nation to them. 
2. In my hometown it's a big deal. We always have a Veteran's Day ceremony. I love it. Ever since I was in Primary/Elementary School I was a part of it. [Until I went to college]
In both Primary and Elementary School, we had colored paper plates, we dressed in red white and blue and then we walked to the courthouse. We sat on the lawn on the left side of the side walk [if your back is to the courthouse]. We sang a few patriotic songs. Then we sat and listened.
In Middle School, the choir stood on risers, sang a few songs then listened.
In High School, the band sat across from the elementary school kids on the right side of the sidewalk. We played several patriotic songs. Then we played Veteran's Salute. At this time, every veteran present would march down the sidewalk in a single file line. [this part always got me] Then our senator would talk some, maybe the mayor..I don't really remember those people. Then, the veterans would walk up one by one to the microphone, tell us their name, their branch of service, how many years they served and sometimes they would tell stories or read a poem they wrote. [this part usually brought me to tears]
Then we'd usually have someone sing a solo or something. We're have a moment of silence, we'd say the Pledge of Allegiance..I think I got out of order. 
Then the elementary school kids would sing one last song and raise their plates up and it made a flag!


My senior year, one of the local troops had just gotten home a week or so earlier so we seemed to have a lot more people there that year. I remember it being pretty emotional...well at least I was anyway, but what's new? lol


I have so many fond memories of Veteran's Day. It's the holiday that brings me the most joy and I think that's a good enough reason for it to be my favorite.


Tomorrow is my last Veteran's Day as a non service member. It'll be a day to remember.


My shirt is done and I'm looking forward to representin'. :)


Wanna see? Of course you do! :)
Well look here!




Some of you will know several of the names on the back. The white are for the ones who have been overseas. The yellow are the ones who were in during peacetime or haven't been deployed yet. If I put someone as the wrong color, I apologize.
The names in red on the 2 sleeves are of 2 servicemen who died in Iraq that were from my county.

I hope your Veteran's Day is FANTASTIC! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment