28 June 2011

A Hicky From Kenickie is Like a Hallmark Card

I don't have much to say today. But what I have to say is good. :)

1. Did you know that much of the stuff you donate to Goodwill doesn't make it on the rack? It's true. It must be in almost perfect condition to be sold to others. BUT do you know what they do with the stuff that doesn't make it, the reject!? This is COOL! Goodwill has a contract with some company. They send the clothes to this place where they're ripped to shreds then MADE INTO RAG RUGS!!! Isn't that so cool?! I think it's a marvelous idea. That way the old ratty clothes that people donate aren't going to waste, they're being put to good use. So neat.

2. Last night I had a dream that this woman walked right up to me and said with disdain "You're from the South aren't you?" I replied with the best Southern accent I could muster "Why yes I am, how'd you know?" And she blurts out "YOU AREN'T WEARING ANY SHOES!" 
Jerk.
If only Yanks [hahah that's a fun word] knew the way the grass feels between your toes for the first time in the spring. The way the ground squishes a little after a soft rain. Or how it feels to run over hot concrete. Then they'd understand the need to be shoeless most of the year. Yes, I often claim the North as my home because both of my parents were raised there. But going barefoot is one thing I will do until the day I die. I don't wear shoes unless it's required of me.
End of that story!

3. Ugh. Stupid. This morning we got to the bike shop and everything was going nuts. We actually got there early. I'm not sure what's going on but we've been leaving semi on time. It's weird. Anyway, so we get there early. Something has happened to the server our computers are frozen. WOOHOO. Well. As I'm trying to figure out what to do and getting my head on straight, a woman calls. She asks me if her bike is ready. So I look in the "Bikes That Are Ready" binder. No, her ticket isn't there. She says "well, it's supposed to be done today" So I look around the computers, on the "benches" [which I'm still not convinced are actual benches] and the like and still don't find it. I tell her I can't find it. She assumes I mean her bike. "No ma'am, your bike is here, if you dropped it off, it's still here. I can't find your ticket. Can I call you back when I've found it?" The little twirp replies "Well actually I'd like to go on a ride this morning, so I want to pick it up as soon as possible." oooooooook. Let me drop everything I'm doing to accommodate you. Jerk. So I remember there's another binder that has the tickets of people who need to be informed their bikes are ready to be picked up. That's my job [but I had yesterday off, so these people did not get called]. It's called "Dialing for Dollars"...that's what my uncle calls it anyway. I say [usually into an answering machine] "Hi! This is _________ ______ ______ I'm calling to let you know that your bicycle is ready to be picked up. You can come on Monday and Thursday from 10 am to 8 pm, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 10 am to 6 pm and Saturday from 10 am to 5 pm. Thank you and have a great day!" oh, ok back to the story. So I look in this binder. Sure enough, hers is the first ticket. I inform her that her bike is indeed finished. And do you know what!? That stinkin hater didn't show up until 530!!! THIRTY MINUTES BEFORE WE CLOSED! I wanted to slap her in the knee! Ugh. People like that make me want to curse. Stupid.

4. On Sunday I bought an air freshener because my room smelled like a sweaty old man. Disgusting. How am I supposed to entertain boys on a bed that smells like a locker room. JUST KIDDING. But seriously, it stunk. So I got THIS. It smelled good in the store. OOOOh but don't be deceived. For those of you who can't click on the link, it's a Febreze Set & Refresh thing. The flavor is Thai Dragron Fruit. So I set it and let it refresh. Man that smell was JANK! I didn't realize is until the next morning though. I tend to like warm smells..and this one was just really sharp...that's the only word I can think of to describe it. I normally sleep with the door closed. I hadthat air freshener on the dresser by the door, and another one plugged into the wall that didn't seem to be working but I forgot to unplug it. Yesterday morning I woke up and I was all kinds of congested and crap. I blame it on that air freshener! I took it in the hall and within like 5 minutes it had engulfed the whole staircase in putrid nasty! I'm pretty sure I'm either A. allergic to the smell in general or B. was infest with those chemicals! I wanted to throw it away and get a new one. But I didn't want to leave it in the trash can in the house. So when my aunt and I ran errands, I chose an outside garbage can and dumped that nasty! Never ever ever again will I by a Set & Refresh. It's like it lets the whole little container go at one time. No thank you! I need gradual refreshing...I'm still paying for that junk with a runny nose! Ugh. Now I've got a renuzit. I know it will do exactly what I ask of it, because those things are the BOOOOOMB.

5. This is the final thing and it's by far the best. A girl whose blog I follow posted this today. It's a love letter from the Civil War. It's beautiful. Since I've been up here, I've been rethinking my thoughts on marriage. haha. Well not really. I've told my mother [and several other people] that I'm never getting married. That's a false statement. I want [almost] more than anything to find a man who wants to spend the rest of his life with me. My life is just discouraging in that aspect. I'm always just a friend. That's really frustrating. I know, I know someday he'll come along. Blah blah blah. I'm just tired of seeing everyone else's somedays happen today. Ugh. So anyway. I want a man like Sullivan. 
Sullivan wrote this letter to Sarah, his wife. They were married 5 years before he died. They had 2 sons. Here's the letter:


July the 14th, 1861
Washington D.C.
My very dear Sarah:
The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days—perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more.
Our movement may be one of a few days duration and full of pleasure—and it may be one of severe conflict and death to me. Not my will, but thine O God, be done. If it is necessary that I should fall on the battlefield for my country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans upon the triumph of the Government, and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and suffering of the Revolution. And I am willing—perfectly willing—to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this Government, and to pay that debt.
But, my dear wife, when I know that with my own joys I lay down nearly all of yours, and replace them in this life with cares and sorrows—when, after having eaten for long years the bitter fruit of orphanage myself, I must offer it as their only sustenance to my dear little children—is it weak or dishonorable, while the banner of my purpose floats calmly and proudly in the breeze, that my unbounded love for you, my darling wife and children, should struggle in fierce, though useless, contest with my love of country.
Sarah, my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me to you with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me irresistibly on with all these chains to the battlefield.
The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when God willing, we might still have lived and loved together and seen our sons grow up to honorable manhood around us. I have, I know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me—perhaps it is the wafted prayer of my little Edgar—that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If I do not, my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battlefield, it will whisper your name.
Forgive my many faults, and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have often been! How gladly would I wash out with my tears every little spot upon your happiness, and struggle with all the misfortune of this world, to shield you and my children from harm. But I cannot. I must watch you from the spirit land and hover near you, while you buffet the storms with your precious little freight, and wait with sad patience till we meet to part no more.
But, O Sarah! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the brightest day and in the darkest night—amidst your happiest scenes and gloomiest hours—always, always; and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath; or the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by.
Sarah, do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for me, for we shall meet again.
As for my little boys, they will grow as I have done, and never know a father's love and care. Little Willie is too young to remember me long, and my blue-eyed Edgar will keep my frolics with him among the dimmest memories of his childhood. Sarah, I have unlimited confidence in your maternal care and your development of their characters. Tell my two mothers his and hers I call God's blessing upon them. O Sarah, I wait for you there! Come to me, and lead thither my children.
Sullivan
Just beautiful. My husband will feel this way about me. He will. 
That's all for tonight, folks. Have a marvelous Wednesday.
Ah, I forgot, today I saw a guy wearing tie-dye and thought "awe, tie-dye tuesday." Then I remembered I moved it to Tie-Dye Friday. Don't forget!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't read the love letter but I did read what you wrote :) Someday...yeah well...maybe not. And I'm OK with that!!! Love you,Brandy

    ReplyDelete